Thursday, January 10, 2019

Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

Ingredients:
  • 64 oz of chicken stock
  • 2 lbs of Italian Sausage
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cups of baby carrots
  • 2 cups of celery
  • 1 bunch of Kale 
  • 4 Russet Potatoes
  • 6 Yukon Gold Potatoes
  • Add one cup of heavy cream
Instructions:
  1. Placed Chicken stock with 12 oz bag of Mirepoix  mix in pressure cooker for 20 min high pressure. Chop small so they become part of the broth. Then fast release
  2. Cook and brown sausage in skillet, then slice to add to soup.
  3. Add onion chopped, the baby carrots cut in half long ways and all potatoes diced to fit on a spoon  and add those to the pressure cooker for 15 min high pressure. Then fast release
  4. Add browned and sliced sausage to soup, turn pressure cooler on simmer.
  5. Wash and chop kale and add to soup last before serving. 
  6. Stir in heavy cream
Note: 
  • I deglaze the skillet with a little water or soup broth then add to the soup.
  • Mild Italian sausage is just spicy enough for us
  • The russet potatoes with break down and thicken the broth, and the Yukon gold potatoes will remain bite size pieces
  • I add the kale last so it remains a nice green. I also only add about as much as we will eat that night. and you can always add more. If you add it too soon it will be brown and a little mushy. 
  • I also add more kale after I have reheated left overs to keep it fresh and green.
No Judgement:
  • Sometimes I have homemade chicken bone stock, and other times I used store bought and add a couple tablespoons of chicken better than bouillon.
  • Sometimes I use fresh onions, celery and carrots to start, and sometimes I use frozen.
  • I add a second batch of carrots and onions with the potatoes to have nice pieces to eat. I add a lot of sausage pieces since the boys like that and it just adds more flavor. 
  • I add cream at the end since I think it makes it that much better... or not if I do not have an on hand.







No comments: