Salted Duck Eggs Recipe:While some Chinese salted eggs recipes call for Sichuan pepper corn and brandy or whisky, you can leave them out. You get the same results without these ingredients.
12 large eggs
1 bowl table salt
4 bowls water
How to make salted eggs:
1. Place salt and water in a pot. Cook until salt dissolves. Allow to cool completely. Strain the saline solution.
2. Place the eggs in a large jar. Pour in saline solution. To weigh the eggs down, use a gallon size Ziploc bag with water in it.
3. Cover the jar tightly and leave to mature for 3 weeks. To test if it is ready, take an egg out and shake hard. You should be able to hear the egg yolk move. If not, continue to steep for a couple of days longer.
4. Once ready, remove the salted eggs and store in the refrigerator.
5. Alternatively, cook them and then keep refrigerated (unshelled) for future consumption.
Chinese Salted Eggs Recipe Without Salt Brine
This is by far the easiest and most convenient way to make salted eggs at home. Really good if you dislike fumbling with pots and pans!
wine (use whatever you have. I use Shaoxing)
one ½ gallon Ziploc bag
How to make Chinese salted duck eggs:
1. Dip the egg into wine until well coated, then roll it over the salt. Repeat with remaining eggs.
2. Place the eggs into a Ziploc bag.
3. Close the bag, and leave it for 3-4 weeks. Eggs should be ready by the 3rd week .
Enjoy your homemade duck salted eggs with plain porridge, or enjoy them with a variety of other delicious Chinese dishes.